The saying is true - it's not what you know, it's who you know. Well, it's largely true. Basically, building and expanding your network is essential for long-term success. Here are 5 tips for networking, even if you aren't typically a fan of attending networking events.
- Throw away the first impression. Be yourself and make sure you aren't completely forgettable.
- The quality of the event is the gathered wisdom of the attendees. See what you can learn and take away from other people.
- Don't worry about meeting everyone. While it's nice to mingle with other people. don't worry if you miss chatting with every person.
- Go with the flow and talk with people you enjoy talking to. Successful people remove themselves from conversions that aren't mutually beneficial.
- You don't need to attend every big name party. Just because a big name business person or celebrity will be there, it doesn't mean it will pay dividends for you.
For more information about networking, check out the complete article on Inc.com.