Your headshot is one of the most important elements of your LinkedIn profile. A good first impression encourages the viewer to read the rest of your profile. In fact, your profile is 7x more likely to be clicked on by an employer simply by having a profile picture.
The problem is that many people do not put much effort into their pictures. They pull one from Facebook or Twitter or take a quick selfie. Who is that person next to you that you cropped out? Why are you looking up at the camera? What is your pet doing in the picture?
Here is a step-by-step guide for creating the perfect Linkedin picture:
- Pick a real photographer; no selfies
- Pick a camera; no Polaroids
- Pick the appropriate attire for the position you are looking for
- Pick a location; make sure the background is not distracting
- Fill the frame with YOU; no friends or pets
- Edit the photo; feel free to touch it up but avoid filters like black-and-white and sepia
Watch the full how-to-guide here: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-video-linkedin-profile-photo-2014-11